Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Convention-Goers

------------------------------------------
As you well know, reader, conventions of any kind are a great way for like-minded individuals to get together and have fun. While steampunk conventions are growing in popularity, steampunk is still prominent at comic and anime conventions, as well.

For instance, in October of '09 I visited a small Michigan-based con, Youmacon. Although I had intended to go in full steampunk regalia, I had no idea that there was to be a steampunk tea party in the convention suite! I was surprised how many ladies and gentlemen of all ages were there from out of state, hailing from such far-off lands as Washington D.C. and Alabama!



Sadly, I will not be attending the World Steam Expo this year, another lovely convention in Michigan, but I encourage anyone interested in the steampunk community to buy your tickets now and reserve your seats for the Brass Spring Ball!

On another note, Anime Central (ACEN), the largest anime convention in the American midwest, is going to be having a steampunk fashion show this year, which I will be attending (in full costume, of course). It takes place in Chicago, and hopefully I'll see many of you there!

3 comments:

  1. I wanna see that fashion show! we shall see it, and then get more pocky than I can carry (all for me, of course)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep last year at ACEN I saw a lot of steapunk attire. I was thinking about getting these cool goggles but I hadn't brought enough money.

    I'll be there again this year with Connor, we'll have to meet up sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say look for the guy in the top hat, but I've got a strange feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of those this year!

    My friend Kevin is going as Slender Man, if you're familiar with him... and on the third day, I'm doing The Warden from Superjail. Not really steampunk, but he's just so awesome!

    ReplyDelete